Imagine: the moment when you enter a hospitality company in the future you will face the host with putting a 'temperature gun' to your head. Welcome in our restaurant! It is all for your own safety and the safety for the employees...
This weekend I went for the first time in the corona era to a hotel with restaurant facilities. I did not expect a wow experience yet, but I was curious what I would experience. My expectations were low and a bit doubtful. IF there are so many restrictions and rules and protocols; how is it possible to give the guests a feeling of welcome?!!
We booked a room in Hotel Avegoor; one of the Fletcher hotels. This hotel group is one of the first who advertised an experience with a stay over including a 3 courses menu.
After being at home behind my laptop giving online classes for the last 10 weeks, I felt that I need a break!
The journey starts with a confirmation via email; there was a video hosted by Myrna Goossen with rules and how the restaurant visit would go in relation to the 1,5 meter rule. We were not allowed to use the swimming pool of course and there was no breakfast buffet. Fair enough. Good: managing expectations..
The property was surrounded by trees in a beautiful forest. We walked into the hotel lobby and the first thing we heard was a voice from the back: 'sorry; it is not allowed to enter the lobby! You have to walk the line.. towards the new check in in the corridor.'. Oeps! That was a warm welcome.. There was no triage and no temperature checking with the gun. (luckily... If it was like that and one of us had a fever; should he had gone home and left me in the hotel all by myself?)
The checking in costs us 15 minutes. There was a choice of 4 types of served breakfasts at the table. There were 3 time slots: 7.30 hrs / 8.30 hrs and 9.30 hrs. We had to choose already.. The same with the diner; at 17.30 until 19.00 or at 19.30 until 21.00 hrs. We understood the time slots; it lowers the amount of guests in the restaurant. That is safe and do-able for the 1.5 meter rule. However, I visit a hotel to relax and I do not want to check my watch or set my alarm clock in order to be on time during the time slot of the breakfast...
We would like to have a drink before dinner; we asked for the time slot of 19.30 - 21.00 hrs in the bar. We had to wait in line for a free table in the bar. We had to order a time slot in the bar as well. After a while, the second sauvignon blanc was ordered and served on a little table in front of our table; the bitterballs did not arrived yet. Because of the waiting time of our 'borrelplank', we were asked by the host to reserve a new time slot. We did..
This was important for the system, so that the hosts have insight in the availability of the tables... (...)
There was nothing wrong with the food. The wine was also okay. However, my wine at home and my cooking skills are also okay. The question what pops up in my brain was: what is the added value of going to a hotel or restaurant?
Can I get used to the restrictions they put on my freedom of movement? Do I feel at ease then? Can I enjoy the journey?
For me it is hard; I go to a restaurant of hotel to connect with people. To enjoy and not watch my watch all the time. Free time is free time...
The most difficult for me during the stay was to see the struggling of the employees. They were nog used to the renewed guest journey with the corona rules. They would like to have the same freedom of movement like before the corona. I asked: 'If this 1.5 meter economy will last; would you still choose for the hospitality industry? There where connection and sincere attention and sometime a touch or pat on the back is key in feeling the guest and yourself welcome?
Timo and Tineke said to me: please ask me again within a couple of weeks.. It is too early to make conclusions..
Be strong.. be safe.. and be sincere!
For those who may go to work again as of the 1st of June: Good luck and enjoy! Never forget that the connection with the guest can be possible while tweaking the guest journey in a Corona proof one!
This weekend I went for the first time in the corona era to a hotel with restaurant facilities. I did not expect a wow experience yet, but I was curious what I would experience. My expectations were low and a bit doubtful. IF there are so many restrictions and rules and protocols; how is it possible to give the guests a feeling of welcome?!!
We booked a room in Hotel Avegoor; one of the Fletcher hotels. This hotel group is one of the first who advertised an experience with a stay over including a 3 courses menu.
After being at home behind my laptop giving online classes for the last 10 weeks, I felt that I need a break!
The journey starts with a confirmation via email; there was a video hosted by Myrna Goossen with rules and how the restaurant visit would go in relation to the 1,5 meter rule. We were not allowed to use the swimming pool of course and there was no breakfast buffet. Fair enough. Good: managing expectations..
The property was surrounded by trees in a beautiful forest. We walked into the hotel lobby and the first thing we heard was a voice from the back: 'sorry; it is not allowed to enter the lobby! You have to walk the line.. towards the new check in in the corridor.'. Oeps! That was a warm welcome.. There was no triage and no temperature checking with the gun. (luckily... If it was like that and one of us had a fever; should he had gone home and left me in the hotel all by myself?)
The checking in costs us 15 minutes. There was a choice of 4 types of served breakfasts at the table. There were 3 time slots: 7.30 hrs / 8.30 hrs and 9.30 hrs. We had to choose already.. The same with the diner; at 17.30 until 19.00 or at 19.30 until 21.00 hrs. We understood the time slots; it lowers the amount of guests in the restaurant. That is safe and do-able for the 1.5 meter rule. However, I visit a hotel to relax and I do not want to check my watch or set my alarm clock in order to be on time during the time slot of the breakfast...
We would like to have a drink before dinner; we asked for the time slot of 19.30 - 21.00 hrs in the bar. We had to wait in line for a free table in the bar. We had to order a time slot in the bar as well. After a while, the second sauvignon blanc was ordered and served on a little table in front of our table; the bitterballs did not arrived yet. Because of the waiting time of our 'borrelplank', we were asked by the host to reserve a new time slot. We did..
This was important for the system, so that the hosts have insight in the availability of the tables... (...)
There was nothing wrong with the food. The wine was also okay. However, my wine at home and my cooking skills are also okay. The question what pops up in my brain was: what is the added value of going to a hotel or restaurant?
Can I get used to the restrictions they put on my freedom of movement? Do I feel at ease then? Can I enjoy the journey?
For me it is hard; I go to a restaurant of hotel to connect with people. To enjoy and not watch my watch all the time. Free time is free time...
The most difficult for me during the stay was to see the struggling of the employees. They were nog used to the renewed guest journey with the corona rules. They would like to have the same freedom of movement like before the corona. I asked: 'If this 1.5 meter economy will last; would you still choose for the hospitality industry? There where connection and sincere attention and sometime a touch or pat on the back is key in feeling the guest and yourself welcome?
Timo and Tineke said to me: please ask me again within a couple of weeks.. It is too early to make conclusions..
Be strong.. be safe.. and be sincere!
For those who may go to work again as of the 1st of June: Good luck and enjoy! Never forget that the connection with the guest can be possible while tweaking the guest journey in a Corona proof one!

Reacties
Een reactie posten